Open Joist Floor Systems
Discover why OPEN JOIST is a superior floor system
The OPEN JOIST 2000® product was designed and developed in the 1980’s by one of the largest wood truss manufacturers. The OPEN JOIST 2000® product is an all-wood, open-webbed trimmable floor joist without metal plate connectors.
NOW we are proud to introduce a new joist generation … OPEN JOIST TRIFORCE™. With this new line of products we can offer more features and benefi ts than before. A trimmable 24-inch web stock OSB end detail will be more flexible on the job site as well as requiring fewer units in inventory. More importantly, we are extremely proud of our new robotic, state-of-the-art facility, which houses the manufacturing plant of OPEN JOIST TRIFORCE™ with unrivaled precision. With its finger-jointed technology, strength and appearance, OPEN JOIST TRIFORCE™ product surpasses the Industry’s standards establishing a new level of excellence in the engineering floor systems, while optimizing the use of lumber in its components.
SOLID SAWN KILN-DRIED CHORDS
• wide nailing surface 2.5″ and 3.5″
• glued finger joints eliminate potential squeaking
• dimensional stability
• ease of installation
SOLID SAWN KILN-DRIED WEBS
• 2″ x 2″ webs
• most effective wood usage
WEB STOCK OSB END DETAIL
• 24″ trimmable end
• trimmable one end only
• manufactured in 2-foot increments
GLUED FINGER JOINTS TRIANGULATION
• long-term performance accuracy
• no plate corrosion
• no potential mechanical, electrical and plumbing damage due to metal connectors
• eliminates potential squeaking
• light handling
• no on-site thinking for holes to allow mechanical, electrical and plumbing installation
• ease of strongback installation increased floor performance
• independent third-party inspection
• individually tested to exceed load capacity
• unrivaled floor performance
Our open concept floor system
The strength of triangulation, accuracy of finger-jointed assembly, maximization of dimensional lumber and environmentally-friendly field adjustability, makes OPEN JOIST TRIFORCE™ product the only trimmable all-wood, open-webbed, finger-jointed, floor joists without metal plate connectors.
Reengineering wood components for your needs
For more than 15 years, OPEN JOIST 2000® product have demonstrated their strength and durability throughout North America and Europe. The OPEN JOIST TRIFORCETM product is the logical continuity of the OPEN JOIST 2000® products also aiming for your “Peace of mind underfoot®”!
Engineered Wood: The IB Solid Sawn Wood I-Joist Advantage
Builders want building products that make the process of building easier, faster and more profitable.
International Beams (IB) Solid Sawn Wood floor and roof framing I-Joists give builders what they’re looking for.
Plus homeowners appreciate the stiff, sound floor IB I-Joists provide.
There are many advantages to building with IB I-Joists. For one, traditional framing lumber (2 x 8 and 2 x 10) is prone to splitting, warping, shrinking, bowing and twisting, often resulting in floors that squeak and expensive callbacks.
IB engineered wood products, including its Solid Sawn Wood I-Joists, are manufactured under climate controlled conditions resulting in dimensionally stable lumber with low moisture content which virtually eliminates these problems. Combine this advantage with those listed below and you’ll quickly appreciate why IB I-Joists are becoming the preferred engineered floor joists.
Advantages and Benefits
- IB I Joists lightweight construction, ease of handling, strength and long spans result in lower overall labor and material costs compared to solid lumber.
- Wide flanges provide a larger gluing and nailing surface for floor and roof sheathing.
- Our software calculates the number and type of floor and roofing I Joists required for your job.
- Traditional framing tools and fasteners make installation of IB engineered wood I beams fast and easy.
- Compared to traditional framing lumber, IB I Joists span longer distances, allowing the joist spacing to be wider, so there are fewer pieces to handle and install.
- IB I Joists are more uniform in strength, stiffer and straighter than regular framing lumber.
- Openings can be strategically cut in the I Joist web to allow for wiring, duct work and plumbing.
- FSC certified. LEED, Green Globes and National Building Standard Green Point credits are attainable.
- Ecologically friendly. It’s The Green Building Solution.™
- Order exactly the number of roof or floor joists you need, thereby reducing cost and eliminating waste on the job site.
The full product line of IB I-Joists (9.5″ to 24″ depths and lengths up to 52′) allow you to maximize the structural performance of floors and roofing, save time and money, yet deliver a higher quality floor or roof.
Engineered for high performance, manufactured to uniform dimensions and backed up by one of finest technical and sales teams in the industry, IB I Joists simply make designing and building with engineered wood easier, faster and more profitable.
Features and benefits:
- Resists twisting, cupping, cracking and warping
- Available in depths of 91⁄2“, 117⁄8“, 14″, 16″ and 24”
- 16′ lengths reduce the number of joints and offer easy handling and installation
- Each board is edge coated and the units are paper wrapped for protection against the elements
- Units are minor bundled
- Engineered to have the structural stength to transfer both vertical and lateral loads
- Designed and manufactured for use as a perimeter board for floor and roof joists in residential and light commercial construction
- Smooth stable nailing surface
- No core voids and will not delaminate
- Norbord’s RIMBOARD has edgewise bending properties and can be used to span openings of 4′ or less
- Norbord RIMBOARD is also produced in other thicknesses. Please contact us for details.
- Manufactured in accordance with ICC – ES AC124, Acceptance Criteria for Wood based Rim Board Products and APA Rimboard Plus
- RIMBOARD is also available with FSC or SFI CoC certification.
Forest Certificates are available in the “Forest Certification” section.
RIMBOARD from Norbord is a certified “Green Approved Product” for the National Green Building Standard
Installation A full 1-1⁄8” edge surface allows for quick installation with virtually no risk of splitting. Installation of RIMBOARDs requires 8d common or ring-shank nails.*
- I-Joist – drive 1 nail into the top flange and 1 into the bottom flange
- Plate – toe-nail RIMBOARD at 6″ on centre to wall plates
- Floor Deck – space fasteners at 6″ on centre
- Ledger – use 1⁄2 ” lag screws and ensure they completely penetrate RIMBOARD. Please refer to building code requirements for number and placement of lag screws.
- Starter Joist – when RIMBOARDs are used as starter joists to maintain the vertical loading, there are several installation options, such as blocking (maximum 24″ o.c.), double up the RIMBOARDs, or place an I-JOIST adjacent to the RIMBOARD. Please consult your designer for the appropriate option and details for your application
RIMBOARD is designed to span openings of 4′ or less.
- A larger nail size may be required by some I-JOIST manufacturers.